Anything else just isn't Enterprise enough.

Don't sit in your tub while using cellphone (plugged in)

>Lovington, New Mexico

I guarantee the wiring in the house is to blame. Open up that outlet. No GFI, no proper ground, borrowed common from other circuits and reversed polarity. I found all of the above in an outlet in my bathroom that was three inches from a metal faucet hooked to all metal pipes. The electrician and/or the last person to inspect the place should be charged with murder.
Permalink MS 
July 11th, 2017 1:18pm
I think the part where it was PLUGGED INTO THE WALL was relevant.

The cell phone probably didn't electrocute her.
Permalink Pestular Croaker 
July 11th, 2017 1:19pm
Teen killed by wireless IoT toaster.

Was making toast in the bathtub.

Wireless toaster was plugged into wall.
Permalink Pestular Croaker 
July 11th, 2017 1:19pm
Actual quote from the article:

"Coe was a basketball player and number one char with her tuba in the bad at school."

Thanks CBS. She really is number one char. But no need to call her bad at it, that's just mean.
Permalink Pestular Croaker 
July 11th, 2017 1:23pm
>[human] killed by IoT [device].

I think we'll see more of these. This was part of the plot of Stross' SF novel "Rule 34".
Permalink Pie is a lot better than fine 
July 11th, 2017 1:34pm
Why do Millenials forget about electricity safety rules?
Permalink WorldRoverski 
July 11th, 2017 1:35pm
something something special snowflake something something you can't tell me what to do something something....
Permalink Pie is a lot better than fine 
July 11th, 2017 2:12pm
Tragic.

I would think a properly designed wall-wart supply wouldn't provide enough voltage to be a problem.  The plumbing is connected to ground, so if her soaking wet hand held the cord -- say 5 volt USB charger plug -- 1.5 amps available, but it depends on her resistance soaking wet.

If her resistance was 500 ohms, 5v/500 ==  .010 amps, or 10 mA.

Typical quotes are that it takes 50 mA through the heart to stop it.  So something's wrong with this picture.

Still, really, don't sit in the tub while using your cellphone.  At all.  And if you must, make SURE it's not plugged in.
Permalink SaveTheHubble 
July 11th, 2017 2:19pm
And yes, GFI was designed to save lives in this scenario.
Permalink SaveTheHubble 
July 11th, 2017 2:20pm
The flash drive controller will have a charge pump that produces 30V, which is needed to write to the flash cells.

There can be other things as well that are above 1.8, 3.3 and 5V in the phone.

But yeah 5VDC would be difficult to attribute to a fatality.

5VDC is also not going to be associated with burn marks.

She had burn marks on her hand and is dead.

So some part of it that is >5VDC was likely involved.

It's actually pretty interesting. Sounds like they aren't bothering to do a proper investigation.
Permalink Pestular Croaker 
July 11th, 2017 2:26pm
A phone battery has enough energy to do a good deal of damage to a human.

3000 mAh, or 180 Ampere during an second.
Permalink Lotti Fuehrscheim 
July 11th, 2017 2:36pm
True, but it's still the current.

You'd have to work really hard to short a battery through your chest.  And if the current doesn't pass through the heart, it won't kill you.
Permalink SaveTheHubble 
July 11th, 2017 3:04pm
On the other hand, an improperly designed charger, with a 'common ground' tied to the AC neutral, with a 'reversed voltage' outlet putting 'hot' to what should have been neutral (or even the charger plugged in 'upside down' whatever polarity THAT is) -- it COULD have had the 'hot' wire down the charging line to the tub.

VERY poorly designed charger.
Permalink SaveTheHubble 
July 11th, 2017 5:59pm
same thing happened in London last December

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

I thought the domestic power supply was less deadly in the US than in Europe
Permalink Wick 
July 13th, 2017 11:07am
I recently read a more detailed description of the situation.  Apparently there was an AC extension cord involved too.

I've had really short USB charging cables -- like 12" long -- to plug into an AC to USB adapter.  If she had one of those, the AC cord could have fallen into the tub.  That would do it.
Permalink SaveTheHubble 
July 13th, 2017 11:40am
115 V is 1/2 as deadly as 220 V, yes.  But there's some scenarios that are VERY hard to survive.  "Soaking wet in a well grounded tub" is one of those.
Permalink SaveTheHubble 
July 13th, 2017 11:42am
Hopefully the family will be able to sue the manufacturer of the cell phone.
Permalink Pestular Croaker 
July 13th, 2017 12:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other topics: July, 2017 Other topics: July, 2017 Recent topics Recent topics